Thursday, November 7, 2013

is it Friday yet?

Outside my window...  It's been a windy, windy day with rain showers thrown in for fun.  The cherry tree has almost lost all her leaves.  There's still a hummingbird (or more) coming to the feeder, brave little flyers.  I cleared the back fence of all ivy and cut the vines from off three out of four tree trunks.  It's looking so different!

I am thankful...  beyond thankful for my home and the little family that lives in it, thankful for the ability (and responsibility) to educate my boys and the many tools we have available to do so, thankful for the different people in our lives that help to shape and mold our children.

In the kitchen... After coming home from work I planted myself in the kitchen and baked cookies.  I concocted a variety of oatmeal raisin and they are perfect.  Just what the Dr. ordered.  Some things I did differently:  used a packet of chai flavored oatmeal with another 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats, added 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and about 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips, omitted the white sugar and used less brown sugar, scooped them nice and big and baked till chewy.

I am wearing...  fresh out of the shower and wearing black lounge pants and a grey hoodie, chillin' at the end of the day

I am reading...  Just finished A Life That Says Welcome.  This book was challenging (spiritually) and I'm thankful for the growth it encouraged in me.  Keep your KJV Bible handy as the verses cited in the book are not KJV.
karenehman3smaller.jpg
 
 
Now working on Glimpses of Grace.  I'm not sure that this book fits with the season of life I find myself in at the moment so I may not finish it.  But the cover is awful pretty!
 
Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home



I am praying...  As parents we have a lot of decisions concerning our children.  At times we must show complete control of a situation and at other times we teach and guide the child to make the best decision.  As my eldest son grows we are learning along with him, how to navigate this new terrain.  All the while we are careful to keep an account of his heart.  We do a lot of talking, a lot of listening, and a lot of just being still.  We do even more praying and studying.  This school year has brought about so many changes and opportunities for him.  He's grown by leaps and bounds.  Weaknesses have also been unearthed.  And we press on, tenderly at times, headfirst at times.  All the while trusting that God will show us the way.

From the learning rooms...  Back in April we began a new curriculum.  After working through the summer we are just reaching the end.  It's been a challenge but one that we've each worked really, really hard to meet.  Of course, we will turn right around and begin the next session.

A few plans for the rest of the week...  Saturday I'm taking Austin to the cemetery where he will be placing flags for Veteran's Day.  Blake and Aaron will head to the first wrestling tournament of the season.  I'm hoping to get there (a little late) to cheer on my Blake and the rest of the team.

A peek into my day...  I find my days to be so full.  There is a lot of responsibility to squeeze into those hours, and I want to be sure to treasure living as well.  I've always struggled with keeping my priorities in line, letting things take precedence where they ought not.  But as I grow, as God grows me, I find that things fall into place as they ought.  And even though I have to be disciplined about my schedule, I know that things are right as they should be.

       Today as example:
  • 6:30 roll out of bed and spend some quiet time in the Word.  I'm using a book of devotions by Charles Spurgeon right now as a sort of guide along the way but I'm certainly not confined by that.
  • 7:30 hop online to get Blake registered for the upcoming wrestling tournament
  • put away some laundry, tidy up the house, load and start the dishwasher
  • 8:00 brew a pot of coffee and get myself dressed for the day
  • 8:30 sit with Blake and do some Math one on one
  • 9:10 sit with Austin and work through some lessons one on one
  • 9:40 leave for work, today was a busy one!  My tootsie's are tired!
  • 3:00 arrive home from work and bake cookies
  • 3:45 schoolwork corrections
  • 4:15 paperwork, bills, and filing
  • 4:45 shower
  • 5:15 see my boys out the door on their way to wrestling practice
  • rest up there is still dinner to make
  • 7:00 hasn't come yet but I will be making pork chops and potatoes
This is where I am right now.  A homeschooling, waitressing, wife and mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment