Thursday, September 19, 2013

thursday here


Outside my window...  It started out chilly, that autumn morning kind of chilly, and now it is beautifully sunny and warm.

I am thankful...  for our new little great-niece, daughter of my nephew, the one whom I held in the hospital when he was just a day old and now he's a father and that rocks my world.  As does the fact that my big sister is now a grandmother.

In the kitchen...  I'm about ready to mix up some pumpkin banana bread with vanilla icing.  Intriguing isn't it?

I am wearing...  A tie-dyed shirt that reveals a little bit of my inner free-spirit.  It is the only tie-dyed thing I own, a guilty pleasure.

I am listening...  Billie Holiday Radio on Pandora.

I have gone...  Drove out to the old house today to let the chimney sweep in.  Dropped off the keys with the management company.  Took the four boys to the park for a couple hours.  Stopped by the store for milk and surprised the guys with chocolate milk.  I do love simple pleasures.

I am reading...  Home Cooking: A Writer In The Kitchen, by Laurie Colwin.  This book has made me giggle and nod my head in agreement as I read.

I am looking forward to...  The first event my 14 year old can participate in with the Color Guards.  He goes to practice early (6:30 a.m.) a couple times per week.  He's learning proper respect and regard for the United States Flag.  The Color Guard present the colors at community events and retirement homes.

From the schoolroom...  things are going swimmingly. We are definitely in a good routine now after moving, changing jobs, starting high school, you know that kind of stuff. 

A favorite quote for today... "Um, where'd you get that shirt?"

One of my favorite things...  my new kitchen.  I am so at home in it.  Barefoot, shuffling fluidly in my space, creating yummy things or just cleaning.

A few plans for the rest of the week... still watching a couple extra boys, work tomorrow, and a fantastic day off on Saturday.


And that's about all I have to report.  Work is going pretty well.  As I mentioned this is my first experience being a waitress.  I'm learning to time things (when to take an order, when to refill beverages, when the take the check), to anticipate the needs of the guest, to balance having a handful of tables, and yes, to carry the tray of beverages and set them down on the table without dropping the tray (it's all about weight distribution).  But if you could see the difference in my soul you'd cheer along with me.  Maybe I'll explain this more fully in a post yet to come.  For now I have pumpkin banana bread to create.  

This is the recipe I'm using.  Things will be altered though, they always are.
  • 3 very ripe bananas, peeled
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of Kosher salt
       Vanilla Glaze
  • 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • pinch of Kosher salt
       Instructions
  1. Mix bananas and sugar with electric mixer until well-blended.
  2. Add pumpkin puree and mix until creamy. Add flour, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and mix until smooth.
  3. Prepare two loaf pans with baking spray or with butter and flour. Divide pumpkin banana bread batter between the two loaf pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the bread, approximately 45 minutes.
  5. Top with vanilla glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment