Tuesday, April 29, 2014

simple home

We had a lovely time with my mom last week.  It was nice to see her after too long apart.  We enjoyed some beautiful sight seeing, some board games, some eating out, some relaxing, and even just a little thrift shopping.  My favorite was just to sit and chat, about anything and nothing at all.  I should also confess that I may have got her addicted to Pinterest.

Our baby chicks are here and I am over the moon!  These little creatures have just swept me off my feet.  My youngest son is captivated as well.  They are fascinating to watch and even better to hold and snuggle with.

We brought five home, of four different varieties.  And against my better judgment we've already named them.

Braveheart and Nugget were sold as Americauna but after some research I suspect they may be Easter Eggers.
Elsa is a Golden Laced Wyandotte.
Mintie is a Rhode Island Red.
Pearl is a Buff Orpington.

We took our chicks on an outing to the backyard this afternoon.  They love grass and dirt and bugs.  




 

Checking in with the garden shows the first hints of sunflower plants (two twin leaves per plant).  Tiny little lettuce leaves have sprouted up and a cluster of leaves that I believe is a watermelon (or a cool looking weed).  The thyme I planted inside is the first of the herbs to make an appearance.  And my mom helped me discover an Iris out front!  This is a lovely surprise as Iris are my favorite!

The boys are enjoying the first popsicles of the season.  The weather is gorgeous!  I'm going to make Mint Lemonade with my homegrown mint.  Dinner will be pork chops, mashed yellow potatoes, asparagus, and mixed fresh blackberries and strawberries.  Warm brownies a la mode for dessert.


The willingness to be and to have just what God wants us to be and have, nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else, would set our hearts at rest, and we would discover the simpler life, the greater peace.
 
Elisabeth Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment