Thursday, April 17, 2014

a little lot in town

In the sunshine of a spring afternoon I planted my garden.  While listening to cello ballads on Pandora through headphones I sewed little seeds and covered them with soil I had been preparing for weeks.  Birds sang with all the hope and faith I felt as those seeds went into the ground.

My gardening methods are haphazard.  Seeds get into the ground and receive water and lots of love.  If that is enough, they will grow.  If not, they will not.  And so it goes.

What I've planted so far:
  • yellow heirloom tomatoes
  • lavender
  • red corn
  • sunflowers
  • peas
  • moon and stars watermelon
  • zucchini
  • cucumber
  • lettuce
  • carrots
What I've yet to plant:
  • indoor herbs
  • potatoes
  • spaghetti squash
The chicken coop is nigh unto finished.  There are a couple finishing touches yet to be done...as time allows.  The chicks will be purchased in a little over a week.  The local Country Store sells chicks but their Friday shipments go so fast.  There are online sources for chicks but I think we will be trying to get some local babies.

Our little farm would be complete with a goat.  My husband is not on board with this idea, yet.  I know goats can be persnickety but it'd be so awesome to have a milk source.  And I'd learn to make cheese.

All of this on a little lot in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment