Sunday, February 9, 2014

valentine's week (part one)

Keeping reading to see a dog in a hairnet....

Valentine's Day.  Love, romance, oo-la-la.  Never been a fan of the day of love, although my parents were romantic enough to marry on the day.  I'm thankful that they did.  But most everything else about the day seems so contrived.

If you watch tv you'll see commercials telling a man that if he loves his woman he'll buy her jewelry.  You'll see commercials telling a woman she deserves that jewelry.  In the stores, displays of last minute candy gifts and flower arrangements scream, "Get your love something, loser!"

So, I boycott.  Do we really need a day set aside to remember to love?  We shouldn't need it.  It should be a monthly, weekly, daily, hourly purposing to LOVE in word and deed.

Being a Christian I see a deeper meaning to love.  I see a perfect love from my Heavenly Father.  I see the Christ that loved me in my deepest sin yet still died for me.  I see the love of the Holy Spirit whispering comfort to my soul in a world that is very unlovely.  God says "I love you" but He doesn't stop there, He shows His love.

Really,  His perfect love is a model to us, how we ought to love others.  God doesn't love us one day a year and send a thoughtless gift because if he didn't we'd think he was a heel and must have forgot.  He doesn't feel obligated to show his love because everyone else is.  And he doesn't love someone and then decide he doesn't love them anymore or it was never love at all.


In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.   
I John 4:9-11
 
 
 
And here we have a dog in a hairnet.....
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh how Charlie Boy is patient and kind and loving to put up with this. Love that Puppy a lot.

    ReplyDelete