I am not very good at using my heavy iron skillet, still learning the in's and out's of it. I like that every iron skillet develops it's own personality and I hope that with good care and lots of use mine will serve me well for a long time.
On to the recipe...
This is not my picture.
1. Make a pizza dough using your favorite dough recipe. Press dough into and up the sides of a greased iron skillet and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In a separate pan brown 1 lb. of ground beef. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion, and clove or two of chopped garlic, continue cooking.
3. Add to meat in pan whatever Italian herbs you like (I used basil, thyme, oregano). Add a 6 oz can of tomato paste and 6 oz of water. Cook and stir.
4. Spread the meat and sauce mixture over your risen dough. Top with one chopped tomato.
5. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Top with 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. REALLY, let it sit.
6. The whole thing should slide easily out of the pan onto a cutting board for ease of cutting.
Served with a salad this is an amazing meal. Definitely a hungry family pleaser!!