Thursday, November 8, 2018

goodbye fear

If you follow along with my Instagram you may have seen my playing around with gravity and a tree in an inversion.  And you may have seen my bluff-side yoga practice locale.  You may continue to see more of these type things as I share more.  These things are not new to me but in the past I have let fear stop me from sharing.


Oh fear, my old friend.  Always warning me that people might judge me for doing this or that.  Always holding me back from true authenticity.  If it weren't for fear, just imagine the places you or I could be!

I had to let go of fear that first time I did a headstand.  I let go of fear when I signed up for yoga teacher training.  I have been so governed by fear that letting it go is a moment by moment practice.

So I practice yoga on a bluff, in the trees, on the beach.  I practice yoga here and there.  I practice yoga everywhere.  Sam I am.

Tonight I'm teaching a 30 minute sequence.  As I was creating the sequence, the imagery of water kept coming to mind.  The fluidity of motion, the ebb and flow of waves at the shore.  It reminds me of the quality I like to bring to my own yoga, that softness and strength that water possesses.  As I lead through what I have planned, I'm hoping to convey that idea to everyone else.  Yesterday, as I practiced this very sequence on a bluff overlooking the Puget Sound, I closed my eyes and listened to the waves on the beach below and wished I could transport that sensation to my class tonight.

In the face of fear over teaching tonight I'm harnessing confidence and grace.  I have nothing to prove and everything to share.  I might forget words.  I might forget my place.  My voice might shake.  But it doesn't matter.  None of that matters because it is not about me.

As I've mentioned before, I have no idea where this journey will take me but I'm thankful to be on it.  I'm thankful for the lessons I'm learning along the way.  I see the changes in myself and am grateful that along the way I've had the courage to change.  I'm finding freedom where before was only bondage.

Until next time!




































No comments:

Post a Comment