Monday, November 5, 2018

all the yoga, all the time


(on my mat, in pj's, with coffee, working on sequencing)


We are halfway through yoga teacher training.  5 weeks in.  5 weeks to go.  And I have a hint of discouragement (?), overwhelming (?), fatigue (?).  It is nothing bad, part of the process really.  There is just soooo much information, and a lot of self-study, and projects, and essays looming overhead, and a big public teaching session to work toward.  I just find myself a little lost in it all.  No doubt, I'll make it through, we'll each make it through and we'll never have a moment of regret except that it ended.

I'm thankful that I'm only working at the restaurant two days a week right now.  It allows me open days to stay caught up on my studies and normal life stuff.  Some of my classmates have full time jobs and I'm sure that the feelings I've been having they are having two-fold.

Just today I spent a few hours tweaking my 30 minute sequence that I will be teaching on Thursday.  and creating a sequence based on my Ayurveda dosha type (Pitta) and working on a sequence based on meridians.  All the yoga, all the time.  And it is amazing and hard and all the things.

So I am baking a cake.  An old-fashioned apple cake that will get topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream later on.  Because when you are feeling overwhelmed: CAKE.

And when the day ends an hour earlier and the sky gets dark and there is a chill in the air, you make a pot roast with red potatoes, onions, and carrots.  It's a thing.

So I've got the comfort food and I'm putting my nose to the grindstone and I'm getting this training stuff done.  I can't tell you what life will look like when this is over.  I've learned so much and I can't see not applying it.  Will I teach in a studio?  Will I offer private lessons?  Will I volunteer where ever yoga might be needed most?

Maybe you remember I told you about a list I had written?  Well, a year and a half ago, I shared this on this blog:

Here I stand at this new fork in the road, this junction between where I've been and where I want to be.  I wrote down the parts of life that bring me the most joy, a list of things I'm passionate about.  I studied the list, carried it with me for months.  And came to the conclusion that I need to build my life around those things.


I wrote that list during a really depressing time and the list got me through because it gave me something to work toward, it gave me purpose.  I climbed out of the pit I was in and set myself to working on some things.  And still I build.

Yoga was on that list.

I've been amazed at the changes that can be brought about just by setting yourself up with goals, a plan, and purpose.  You don't have to settle for mundane.  You don't have to feel stuck.  You are free to get out and DO THINGS that bring you joy.  Think about all the things you would do if you weren't afraid.  Then do them.

Anyhoo.  This is where I am.  Doing the things.  Stepping past fear on the daily.

How about you?

Until next time!


Sunrise during a windstorm a few days ago....






No comments:

Post a Comment