Sunday, August 6, 2017

the big (HUGE) cabin

This summer is FLYING by.  Here it is August and there are posts on Facebook documenting first days back to school.  Stores are selling all the gear.  TV commercials are ready to remind.

But I'm not ready.  I deny the light is changing, the sun moving positions in the sky ever so subtly.  Those leaves aren't actually changing color, it's only August!  I will also not admit that I was looking over some spiced, caramel-ridden recipes on Pinterest.  Shh...it's still salad season.

Anyhoo...

Way back in July we took a little trip down to a family reunion.  We stayed in a big (HUGE) cabin just outside of the Rainer National Park with Aaron's mom, dad, sister, brother, sister-in-law, and a passel of nieces and nephews.

Only Aaron and I made the trek down and we took the long way, past Snoqualmie Falls.  Living in Washington for 11 years now and this was my first time to these falls.  I've seen them in pictures and on the news (they get very boisterous in the fall and winter).  While they were pretty I was slightly underwhelmed with all the publicity they get around here.  I know, d-i-v-a.  Right?


 
On to the big (HUGE) cabin... 
 
The main house had two bathrooms, laundry room, gigantic dining room, kitchen, living room, two regular bedrooms, and a giant fun room with bunk beds and games.  The guest house had two more bedrooms, a private bathroom, living area and pool table.  We got to stay in the guest house and shared a bathroom with our 25 year old niece.  Outside there was a deck, fire pit, hot tub, large yard, horseshoe pit, playground, and badminton net.
 
Here is the kitchen after we moved all the supplies for 16 people in:
 



The dining room on the sun porch:
 

 
The living room:
 

 
Brothers grilling:
 

 
Family:
 

 
I went hiking with my sweet mom-in-law and my awesome niece.  We hiked an indeterminate distance that I like to think was 6 miles but was probably more like 2.
 

 
Dusty horse trails will do this:
 

 
 
Family pictures time: 
 
Aaron with his parents and siblings (and one rogue great-niece).
 



Here's everybody:
 

 
 
I practiced a little yoga with my awesome niece in the morning sunshine.  My mats are getting some travel miles on them!
 
 
 
We took in Northwest Trek with the family.  Here is Mom, checking out the river otters.  I love this picture because it reminds me of how Austin looks at the otters. 




Hey big fella...
 

 
Elk herd...
 


It was a great trip.  We made good memories.  There was deep conversation and joking around.  There was too much food and lots of cuddles.  I really, really love my family.  Like most families we don't see each other very often.  My family is spread far and wide but it doesn't lessen how much I care about them.  I love that being married, I gained this whole other family but they are mine just as much as my own family is mine.  Yay family!




No comments:

Post a Comment