Wednesday, August 16, 2017

the anniversary trip parts 2, 3, and 4

Day two of our anniversary trip:

 
We ate a big traditional breakfast at Pig N Pancake.  It's sort of a landmark and pretty much required when visiting.  Plus they have diner coffee in small ceramic mugs and I get a kick out of that.

 
Then we drove down to Seaside.  I came to this town a lot as a kid.  The day I got my ears pierced we came here and I watched The Lion King with my nephew in the theatre.  When we were first married I worked a couple jobs here.
 
 
 
 
 
It was so hazy, even right on the beach, from all the wildfire smoke.
 
 
 
 
 P-a-n-o-r-a-m-a
 

 
 
I've never seen so many people on the beach here before.  It has certainly grown as a tourist destination.  The tall buildings on the left are resort hotels.
 



 
 

 
 
We stopped into a coffee shop.  I love the wall and bar and light fixtures.
 
 
 
 
Leaving Seaside behind we drove through the Lewis and Clark Valley to Youngs River Falls.  My brother-in-law took my senior photos here.  It was a lot different than I remember.  A couple decades can really change a place, or a memory.




 
My date...
 
 
 
 
I love this place.  My childhood was spent in creeks and rivers just like this, barefoot and happy.



If I can't live the rest of my life on a beach in Hawaii I would live here, in a cabin next to a creek.
 
 
Day three of our anniversary trip:
 
 
 
We walked a block from where we were staying to get breakfast at Street 14 Café.  The vibe of this place is so chill.  And their flower arrangements were on point.  What even are those?
 
 
 
His and hers.  His was a blueberry bread pudding.  Mine was the BEST scone I've ever had.  So light and sweet and flaky and PERFECT.




His mocha....
 

 
My fresh brewed coffee and scone...
 
 
 
 
We came across this door in the foyer of the Commodore Hotel adjacent to the Street 14 Café.  It couldn't have been more fitting for two lovebirds celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary.


 
 
Fully awake and caffeinated we drove to the location of our first "date".  We had gone to Burger King for a bite (I remember I had eaten a Jr. Whopper and he ate fries) then out to Fort Stevens State Park.  Back then I just wanted to share with him all the places I knew, the places I loved so he could enjoy them too.
 
The Jetty at the mouth of the Columbia River.
 


 
 
We did not share a kiss way back then on our first date.  But now, twenty years later, same location....
 




The wreckage of the Peter Iredale...
 

 
 
Industrious little beach birdies...
 

 
 
I really, really, REALLY wanted to find a whole sand dollar.  I didn't know it would be so miniature!!!
 


 
 
We walked to dinner that night.  I captured a shot of this sweet smelling rose as we walked back.  If life has taught me anything it is to stop and smell the roses.  So, I do.
 
 
 
Day four of our anniversary trip:
 
We were anxious to beat traffic and get home at a decent time so we stopped in to Street 14 Café one last time for a coffee and a scone.  We filled up the gas tank and hit the highway.  Traffic was never terrible but the smoky haze from wildfires was inescapable.  Thankfully it has since cleared up but here is a picture I took of Seattle that day as we drove through.
 
 
 
It was a great trip full of tons of walking, tons of reminiscing, lots of good food and coffee.  We had great conversation and lots of laughs which is pretty important after 20 years.  Here's to 20 and 30 and 40 more years together.
 
Love, E

No comments:

Post a Comment