Wednesday, April 1, 2015

a day in the life

4:30 a.m.  an alarm clock sounds from across the hall.  Too early.  Eldest son's alarm clock somehow keeps getting set an hour fast.  So a 5:30 wake up call becomes 4:30.  We spend the next hour sleeping in the snooze times between alarms.

5:40 a.m.  out of bed.  Encourage eldest son out of his bed.  It's so early.  My eyes are still foggy.  I make him lunch in the dimmest light possible.

6:05 a.m.  allow son to drive to school.  He's doing well and I only panic once this time.  At school, I get out to take my place behind the wheel, thankful that I'm not wearing my pajamas this time.

6:15 a.m.  head to the gym and get in a good hour of cardio.

7:30 a.m.  yoga class!

8:45 a.m.  make breakfast: fresh egg, thick sliced ham, spinach, and swiss cheese on whole grain bread,  with fresh citrus juice (orange, grapefruit, lemon).  It's tart, but clean and fresh.  Feed the chickens: barley, leftover mixed vegetables, and yogurt.  Prepare bread dough for dinner later.  And drink a cup of coffee.  Mmm...

9:30 a.m.  bike ride to work.  It's a brisk morning and the wind makes my eyes water but I love it.

2:30 p.m.  bike ride home, meet eldest son who is walking home from school.  Prepare a big batch of lentil soup (I used turmeric for the first time) to simmer on the stove for a bit.

3:15 p.m.  shower.  As I was finishing up in the bathroom I heard some sort of noise out the window.  A quick glance revealed chickens, digging a deep hole.  I spoke to them through the open window and they peered quizzically up at me.  They just make me laugh! 

4:00 p.m.  bake bread, check emails (and pinterest!)  Ah, the bread smells so good.

4:45 p.m.  correct the homeschooler's daily schoolwork.  We're on week 27!!  This is the last week of the 3rd quarter!!  It's spring break next week!!  Woot!!

5:15 p.m.  dinner: homemade lentil/vegetable soup, fresh baked bread.  I try to prepare at least one vegetarian dinner per week.  This week we're getting two!

6:15 p.m.  head to church to observe The Lord's Supper

7:30 p.m. On our 30 minute drive home from church we enjoy donuts from The Donut House (it's sort of tradition)



The recipe:  LENTIL SOUP
  • Heat 4 T. coconut oil in a soup pot.
  • Saute 1/2 of a chopped sweet onion and 3 chopped garlic cloves until golden.
  • Add a 1/2 in. piece of chopped ginger and saute for 1 minute.
  • Add 2 t. cumin, 1 t. thyme, 1 t. sage, 1 t. oregano, 1 t. turmeric powder, 1/8 t. cayenne, 1 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper.  Stir-fry for one minute to open the spices.
  • Stir in 6 c. water, 1 1/2 c. lentils, 3 sliced celery stalks, 2 sliced carrots. 
  • Bring to boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Before serving squeeze the juice of a small lemon into the pot.

TURMERIC
Turmeric
 
 
Benefits of turmeric -
  1. anti-inflammatory (more potent than ibuprofen)
  2. eases depression symptoms
  3. lowers blood glucose levels and reverses insulin resistance in those with diabetes
  4. inhibits cancer cell growth
  5. kills fungus more effectively than ginger, clove, and oregano
 
From my reading this week -
 
O give thanks unto the Lord;
call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.
Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works.
Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord.
Seek the Lord, and his strength: seek his face evermore.
 
When thou saidst, Seek ye my face;
my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.
 
Psalm 105:1-4 and Psalm 27:8
 


1 comment:

  1. We had soup and homemade bread too! Yours sounds delicious. Ours was vegetable soup with brown bread. I had made a loaf of gluten free artisan bread. I didn't read the instructions very well. In order to avoid it being gummy when served, it needs to cool completely. It was cooling while we were eating :-(

    ReplyDelete