Monday, September 29, 2014

soup and school


A chicken carcass is simmering on the stove (NOT one of my hens!).  I'm going to be making The Pioneer Woman's Italian Chicken Soup.  It's definitely a soup day!  The sky is overcast, there's a little nip in the air and I'm probably lounging around in sweats and long sleeves since I got home from work.

As I sit here and sip my cup of afternoon coffee I can see my girls pecking around.  They are all so big and glorious now and we get along swimmingly.  They adore the sunflowers I dried for them and are experts at getting the seeds out (remember when I had to teach them that skill?).

School is going well all around.  I'm relieved and pleased and encouraged and happy.  Austin is doing really well in the high school.  One month in and he's getting A's in all his classes, except Algebra which is a B+ (no complaints here).  He's still working occasionally on the weekends at the restaurant and he's diligent with rifle team practice (6 a.m.!!).  I'm just really proud of my boy.

My Blake is doing awesome in homeschool as well.  He's very thorough and dedicated to a job well done.  In fact, I wanted to share our homeschooling schedule here.  I know it's always interesting to me to see what other homeschoolers do and maybe our schedule would be of interest to someone else. 

Since my work schedule can change from month to month we have to remain flexible.  I did drop down to working just 3 days per week and it has helped immensely.  We begin the week with Day 1 which for the month of September was Thursday but in October that will be moved to Wednesday.  We work on a 5 days per week schedule with Saturdays and Sundays free.  I'm thankful for the freedom and ability to be flexible!

Our schedule is not organized down to minutes and hours because at this level those needs change daily.
  • Day 1
    • English lessons 1 and 2 with Mom
    • Math lessons 1 and 2 with Mom
    • Bible lesson 1
    • Literature lesson 1
  • Day 2
    • English lessons 3 and 4 with Mom
    • Math lessons 3 and 4 with Mom
    • Bible lesson 2
    • Literature lesson 2
    • field trip or activity with Mom
  • Day 3 (the student flies solo)
    • Bible lesson 3
    • Science lessons 1 and 2
    • History lessons 1 and 2
    • Literature lesson 3
    • reading (student's choice) 30 minutes
    • typing lesson (goodtyping.com)
    • art lesson (self guided with the Artistic Pursuits book)
  • Day 4 (the student flies solo)
    • Bible lesson 4
    • Science lessons 3 and 4
    • History lessons 3 and 4
    • Literature lesson 4
    • free reading (student's choice) 30 minutes
    • typing lesson (goodtyping.com)
    • art lesson (self guided with the Artistic Pursuits book)
  • Day 5
    • quiz day
    • free reading (student's choice) 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment