Monday, July 21, 2014

just life

Riding my bike to work makes me feel so responsible, environmentally and fiscally.  It's not far, really, and only takes a few minutes more travel time.  My gas mileage is amazing and I can get a bit of a workout in at the same time.  It's a win-win.

I stopped by the market on the way home.  Picked up the ingredients for spaghetti with meatballs and homemade marinara sauce.  My backpack was full of groceries as I rode the rest of the way home.  Of course we live at the top of a little hill.  But my thighs, rock hard.

This past weekend was an unplanned relaxation retreat.  Our plan to travel outside of the state to a family reunion was cancelled due to lack of traveling funds so we stayed home.  We scraped together interesting foods from the back of the pantry (instant mashed potatoes anyone?).  We spent an entire day watching movies and documentaries on Netflix.  An entire day!  I even got a good amount of yard work in, complete with 15 mosquito bites.

It's a new week now.  A full work week.  A full school week.  We are still finishing up the school year hoping to take most of August off.

Charlie is healthy, although battling a case of fleas, his incision almost just a memory.

The chickens are growing combs now.  12 weeks old.  They love to interact with me and are constantly holding a conversation with each other, or me if I'm interesting enough at the moment.  If they are unsure of something, a new food or other strange thing, they will talk to it, always a quizzical sound, eyes studying.  At some point they reach the decision whether to approach the strange thing or walk away.  And always, very short attention spans and frequent short term memory loss.  I've decided that even if they never laid even one egg I would still be glad I got these chickens, I've learned so much and received so much joy from them that it is already worth the effort, time, and money.

The evening awaits.  Chickens need tending.  Schoolwork needs correcting.  Dinner needs preparing.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment