Thursday, March 12, 2015

currently

listening... depending on the hour I get up in the morning (ranging from 5:30 - 7:30), I hear either a chorus of frogs or a chorus of birds.  Either chorus is just as mesmerizing and it always feels like not another soul is listening and it is a chorus for me alone.

outside...  the garden has been expanded which leads to working the soil, removing the rocks and tilling it.  Still adding chicken manure as it is available (daily!).  The chickens are happy as clams to wander the yard all day, dust bathing or hunting insects.  They are giving us 3 eggs a day.

kitchen stuff...
Oven Stew
 
Cube 1 1/2 pounds of beef (or a meat of your choice) and coat in a mixture of flour, pepper, and paprika.  Brown in a large, oven safe pot (I use an enamelware stock pot). Splash a tablespoon or two of red wine or balsamic vinegar to the pot, stirring to scrape the bits off the bottom.  Pour a cup of broth (vegetable or beef or just water) and an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce into pot and stir well.  Cover with a lid and place in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

This can be served over buttered egg noodles or with a crusty bread, or with a nice big green salad.

thinking...  about my sons and all they are accomplishing and learning. 

Blake had two wrestling meets this week (one match at each meet).  He's undefeated for the season.  I all at once love and hate watching him wrestle.  He's so good, so impressive and strong but my pulse quickens and I have trouble breathing the entire time he's on the mat.  And I yell.  I hoot and holler and cheer him on.  And people look at me like, "well, there's his mom". 

Austin's headed to a competition in Olympia this weekend and off to Ohio next week.  He's been getting some practice driving.  Sometimes I can be really chill and relaxed in the passenger seat but not always.  Not yet.  Ever?

thankful...  You know you have found a good friend when you can get deep into conversation about a chicken's nether regions, details and hand gestures included, and she's doesn't shy away.  Can I keep you friend?

reading...  

Where She Went by Gayle Forman.  The sequel to If I Stay.

8492825
 
 
The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet
 
1332755


favorite thing... This blog post by Katie Davis, author of Kisses From Katie.  What she says, what her heart speaks, reverberates in my soul.  I dare you to read and not be changed.

quote for today... 

"A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey,
but a woman of strength knows that it is in the journey where she will become strong."

No comments:

Post a Comment