Saturday, January 31, 2015

be still and see

be still and know; God has spoke these very words to me before (recently) the translation literally means to relax. He has this. Thank you God!


As I sit here at my dining room table, I'm overcome with awe at the wonder of creation.  It's simple and easy, like ripe fruit waiting to be picked.  Just be still and see. 

My eyes are drawn out the window next to me to a flurry of activity.  I refilled all the bird feeders a bit ago and have drawn in an abundance of Juncos, Chickadees, and Sparrows.  My five big hens wait underneath the feeders for dropped seeds.  If one of the little songbirds flits to the ground, the chickens chase it off, not realizing that this could be a symbiotic relationship.  But chickens are not very smart at all. 

As my gaze settles further off, into the branches of the big evergreen trees, I notice little birds, with busy, purposeful movements.  I see that these are Nuthatches and they are intent on the plentiful cones, hanging upside down from a cone and either gleaning sticky sap (used to protect their nests from predators) or eating the seeds, or perhaps, both.  When I get binoculars to study the Nuthatches further they seem to disappear from my inquisitive eye. 

A pretty emerald green Hummingbird has been flirting with the feeder, it has a beautiful fuschia colored throat.  And an instant later, the chickens have moved to another part of the yard and all the birds have moved on, the backyard stands still and quiet.

Earlier this week some verses were impressed upon me as I read.  Psalm 30:11-12.  While these verses mention a time of mourning, which I have not recently traveled, they still lit up a part of my soul, a part that has at some time traveled a road of sadness and will at some time travel one again.

Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; to the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee forever.

I guess the fact that I'm not currently in mourning but instead grateful, thankful, and joyfilled does, in fact, support the truths behind these verses.  I can dance, covered in gladness.  My joy can recite back to God my thanks.  My heart can sing in praise.  I'm not meant to be quiet but fully and actively JOYFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment