Sunday, October 12, 2014

stacks of books

The year began with a hunger, a craving to devour book upon book.  I had such a strong desire to just read and not stop reading.  And read whatever came through my hands.  And let the words wash over and through me.

A journal was started chronicling my love affair with books.  Maybe you know that it's serious when you keep a book about books.  Regardless, I keep track of the titles of each of the books I finish.  I also record my personal thoughts upon completing a given book.  Sometimes I copy down lines or even full passages. 

In the open spaces at the very beginning of my journal, before the first entry page, I keep quotes about reading and books.  I've collected quotes from the likes of Thomas Jefferson who said, "I cannot live without books." to Dr. Suess who said, "Fill your house with stacks of books in all the crannies and all the nooks."



A few of the books I've read this year have been:

1531573 Grand Ambition by Lisa Michaels


1723549 Rare Encounters With Ordinary Birds by Lyanda Lynn Haupt


1975985 Living High by June Burn


11870085 The Fault In Our Stars by John Green


3636 The Giver by Lois Lowry



This year has also given me what could possibly be my favorite book.  This book continues to touch my heart and I find myself referencing it in thought and conversation often.

  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

A quote I wrote in my journal:

"...she was the book thief without words.  Trust me though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like the rain."


Lest I ever be without a good book, I also keep lists of books I want to read, titles I've come across that intrigue me.  Then, periodically, I put in requests with the library for 2-3 of the titles on my list.  Rarely do I read more than one book at a time but I've found that if I try three different books I'll probably make a real connection with only one of them.  If there is not a connection, a spark, I don't force myself to read a book.  Life is too short for lousy reading.

On my list right now:

  • I Am The Messenger, Markus Zusak
  • The Language Of Flowers: Symbols and Myths, Marina Heilmeyer
  • What Alice Forgot, Liane Moriarty
  • Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
  • The Uncommon Reader, Alan Bennett
  • Brain On Fire, Susannah Cahalan





The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you.  And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even, who is long dead, and it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.
-Alan Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment