Saturday, October 11, 2014

rainy Saturday morning

Blake's team is playing a team from Canada this afternoon.  Maybe it will clear up by then or maybe everyone is going to get very wet!

Chickens don't care much for rain.  At first raindrop they scurried back to the safety of their coop.  When I went out to check on them and close up the coop door, they vocalized their disdain for this wet stuff.  Of course, I explained, I had nothing to do with it.

I am making my family beef stew in the crockpot and homemade bread today.  It'll be the perfect compliment to this gray, wet weather.  I love cooking and baking in the fall the very best, how it makes everything feel warm and cozy.

We had a great trip to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle yesterday.  We rode the ferry off of the island and home again which makes every trip feel more adventurous.  At the zoo, every animal was so beautiful and majestic (except the warthogs which may just be the ugliest creatures EVER).  We even got to see the wolves AND the penguins being fed.  We've taken our boys to the zoo since they were so little, I think Austin was just 1 his first time.  It's still fun, maybe even better, with teenagers!

In other news: our first parent teacher conferences (where I'm not the parent AND the teacher).  We met all of Austin's teachers and had great conversation with each one.  It was reaffirmed in my mind how important it is for parents to be involved in their children's education.  Just because we've sent our son off to the public school system does not mean we wash our hands of all responsibility.  The responsibility is still there, just as large as it ever was, it has just taken on a different role. 

We also met with his counselor to discuss transcripts, credits, graduation requirements, etc...  We've encountered a few hurdles in this area due to homeschooling and maybe I will elaborate more at another time.  His counselor is young, in her first year, and I felt as if I was educating her more on this system than she was assisting us but, we'll see if we can make this work, form a team and a plan for the next couple of years.  We also dropped in on a Rifle Team practice and chatted with Coach a bit.  He is very optimistic of this year and is looking forward to having Austin along for Nationals in June, in Alabama.  Exciting business!

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment