Wednesday, October 17, 2018

how it's going

I'm already in week 3 of yoga teacher training and it has been such an incredible experience.  Every thought and emotion has been drawn out of me for evaluation and growth.  I've been humbled and empowered.  I've shed tears and shined smiles from the heart.

In the first two weeks, my body was sore.  So sore.  But strengthening.  It's not all about getting stronger and becoming more flexible.  It's about the journey and what you learn along the way.  My body is learning to realize it's latent potential.  I'm learning to trust myself and rise stronger.  I'm learning to connect my body with my mind and my heart.  That is what yoga is, a unity within, and in turn, unity without.

In the second week I was presented with a fact about myself.  I'm a perfectionist.   Nobody had to tell me this fact.  It honestly revealed itself to me in a moment of great humbling.  I got sad.  I got mad.  Then I learned.  The reason I'm a perfectionist is because I'm afraid of being wrong.  Afraid of how I'll appear to an onlooker.  Hmm... Interesting.  Fear cripples a person and prohibits them from going further, prohibits growth and authenticity.  I don't want to live crippled by perfectionism.  I want to be FREE to make mistakes and be seen as a fallible human.  So, I'm working on this.  A little less OCD and a little more FREEDOM.

My classmates are so great.  There are 8 of us and we are all about as different from each other as you can get.  We all come from different places, brought here for different reasons, but together there is such unity of heart.  When I hear them talk, I think, ah! these are my people!!  I would probably have never known them if it weren't for yoga but despite our differences, we have become family.  They are supportive and compassionate and I adore each one of them for the light they share.

My life and my world are very much overtaken right now with everything yoga.  I'm studying a lot.  I'm practicing a lot.  I'm audibly cueing sequences while hiking.  I'm dreaming about poses.  I'm meditating on the history and changes that have come about in yoga.  This is only a 10 week course and I want to soak in as much as possible, learn as much as I can, and not take a moment of it for granted.

Life still happens.  I make sure to fix my family dinner before I leave for class.  I keep the house clean.  I harvest my garden.  I love on my puppy dog.  And I really, really try to take a little time "off" of yoga to rest my mind and recharge.  Right now, in fact, I'm going to take my dog and my camera somewhere pretty on the island, and enjoy the sunshine.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment