Tuesday, April 10, 2018

life right now

What's been happening around here?  Maybe you asked, maybe you didn't.  Either way, here we are.

This is life right now.

Aaron works full time with our pastor, building and growing his plumbing business.  He has stepped away from the real estate business for a time.

Austin works at Dick's Sporting Goods as a "Lodge Associate".  In his spare time he has taught himself to play the bass guitar and continues to build on that.  On Monday he'll turn 19 years old.

Blake is a high school Junior with straight A's.  He is coming up on one year as a courtesy clerk at Haggen's.  He'll be celebrating his 17th birthday this weekend.

I am working on my photography.  I work as a server at a restaurant.  In my spare time I take pictures and make music.

We have three free range backyard chickens, a dachshund, and a king snake.

I'll be planting my garden this week.  I'm finishing projects and doing things.  We did a puzzle over the weekend.  I finished painting and distressing an old window I've had for years. 

The puzzle, thanks Mom!
 
 
 
The window.  It has so many layers of paint.  Obviously the latest is black, distressed to show the red and older white underneath.  I'm going to use this as a display for my photography.  It has three panes, so three frames. 



The garden:
  • basil
  • cilantro
  • rosemary
  • heirloom tomatoes
  • gold nugget tomatoes
  • a variety of sunflowers
  • a garden mix of cutting flowers
  • brandy boy tomatoes
  • grey zucchini
  • lettuce
  • sugar snap peas
  • rainbow swiss chard
  • wax beans
  • beets
  • 3 potato varieties
  • onions
  • garlic
  • cucumbers
The chickens and I have been working so hard at getting the soil fertile over the winter.  I turn the soil and compost.  They spread the compost and poop a lot.  We make a great team.

Other than that it's just normal daily things like laundry and dishes, groceries and bills.  Everybody works a different schedule and someone is usually coming or going.  It's different than it used to be, not worse, not better, just different.

I am alone a lot so I take myself on mini adventures.  Yesterday, I was hiking around at a beach in the sunshine, I try to take the road less traveled and so find myself balancing on ledges or sprawled across a crevice, or using a path that is definitely that of nimble deer and not clumsy human. For a time I watched a sparrow as it hopped around foraging.  I soaked in this moment, noticing, observing, thankful that the sparrow trusted me enough to stay. 

This was my favorite picture of the sparrow as it stood on tiptoe and craned it's neck high to gain a better vantage point:




Cute, right?

It's time to go make dinner.  Steak, golden potatoes, steamed cauliflower and broccoli.  And M&M cookies for later.

Until next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment