Monday, January 8, 2018

grateful, aware, and eating soup

It is midwinter.  Holidays are past.  And we settle in to the next few months.
 
I set some intentions at the beginning, one of which I shared here.  To complain less and be grateful more.  Perhaps it is shameful how often I have caught myself mid-thought or mid-sentence and had to backtrack to find the good. 
 
Crummy things happen.  People don't measure up to what we feel they ought to be.  We can't control situations or people but we can control how we react or don't react.  I choose to not complain because what does that even accomplish but to make me feel worse and spread that negativity on to whomever I'm speaking with.
 
Another intention that is closely related is to be aware.  Just be aware.  In awareness we can almost step back from a situation and see it from all angles without coming to any conclusions or responding in any way.  That doesn't mean that we won't ever respond but it allows for a time of reflection outside of our preconceived notions.  Approach a moment in time without any thought of how or why and just see it.  Be aware of the people around you without placing any expectation on them.  Be aware of yourself without expectation.
 
To live in this practice of awareness is to let go of control.  Did you know that we don't have to control every little thing?  We don't have to control the people in our lives.  We don't have to control our every second.  We don't have to control the world. 
 
Maybe you've realized that even if you try to control, it is impossible.  That lack of control can often lead to anger because things aren't going the way you think they should.  But be aware.  In a conversation you don't have to have all the answers.  Slow down and just be aware of the other person, what they are actually saying, rather than how you are going to respond.  In a situation, slow down, step back, and just notice the details instead of reacting.
 
Be grateful and be aware.
 
---------------------------------
 
 
If you need something yummy and warm to make this week, please make this soup.  I have eaten it three days in a row and I'm not sorry.  It is vegan, if you care about that.
 
Mexican Lentil Soup
2 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped (I used sweet)
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 T. cumin
1/4 t. smoked paprika
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. diced tomatoes (I used canned)
4 oz. can diced green chilies
2 c. green lentils (green lentils have a firmer texture and don't get mushy)
8 c. vegetable broth (I made my own)
cilantro and avocado for serving
 
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.  Add onion, carrots, celery and jalapeno.  Saute for 5 minutes.  Add garlic, zucchini, cumin, paprika, oregano, and pepper.  Saute for 3 minutes.
 
Add tomatoes, chilies, lentils, and broth.  Bring to a simmer.  Simmer, covered for 30-40 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
 
Serve topped with chopped cilantro and avocado.
 
You can also serve this with corn chips, sour cream, and cheese but of course, it would no longer be vegan (if that matters).
 
---------------------------------
 
 
 
Do you follow my photography Facebook page?
 
 
Or my photography Instagram?
 
 
Have you seen my website?
 
 
I'm doing things and creating things and sharing things and I really want you to be a part of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment