Monday, July 24, 2017

our story



We don't have a fairytale love story.

We didn't have a Shakespearean romance.

Our adventure began in the quietest way but changed us both completely.

I was 18, fresh out of high school, trying out my new freedoms, making bad choices for myself, heading down a destructive path.

He was just 19, staying with relatives a state away from his friends, hometown, and everything familiar.

His uncle and my brother were friends and they arranged for us to meet.

I met him the day after his birthday, after work I drove to where he was staying, knocked on the door, and we said hello for the first time.

We fell into an instant friendship that grew deeper with each passing day.  We were inseparable and married 9 months later.

There were naysayers.  People had their doubts.  We didn't do everything right.  We were just kids.

But we saved each other.  He rescued me from the dangerous path I was on, he made me want to be a better person, he helped me to grow up, grow past, move on.  He was patient with me, gentle, loving.  And he has never given up on me even through the darkest of valleys.

It is our 20th anniversary on August 3rd.

It's not really possible to describe the depth of our relationship.  We started out as two young saplings, planted side by side.  Over time we've grown together into one strong tree, roots entwined, branches entwined so that there is no division, there is no separating what we've become.

Recently we listened to our wedding song.

Twenty years ago, no way of knowing what our life together would hold, we chose these words, this song to represent our love.  And now, with all the experience we've gained, these words could not be truer.

There's so much breaking up
Folks who won't fall in love
Put up shells, guard themselves, build walls
And it makes me cry sometimes
'Cause people live lonely lives
They don't want to try
They don't want to live at all

 But I'm not gonna be afraid
To give up my heart that way
'Cause I need you, I need you by my side
And I'm not gonna say I'm strong
Out here in this world alone
Cause I need you, I need you by my side

And when you find someone
Someone you really love
It makes life easier to bear
But some folks live on their own
Shut themselves in at home
They never find out
What love's all about
'Cause they're scared.


 But I'm not gonna be afraid
To give up my heart that way
'Cause I need you, I need you by my side
And I'm not gonna say I'm strong
Out here in this world alone
Cause I need you, I need you by my side




We are taking a road trip for our anniversary back to the town where our story began.  I'm super excited.  We road trip like nobody's business.  He's usually driving, sunglasses on, one hand on the wheel, the other hand in mine.  I'm sitting shotgun, barefoot, legs crossed.  We play all our songs and sing along.  It's the best.

Who knew that two kids like us could be so stinkin' in love after 20 years?!  Who knew that we would still get giddy around each other, smiling through love eyes, and laughing at corny inside jokes?  Who knew that we could communicate without words, almost sensing the thoughts of the other?

There's still the messiness.  There's still me being selfish.  There's morning breath and bedhead.  There are hard decisions and hurt feelings.  We fail to communicate.  We fail each other.

But there is such a value to what we have, what we have built over these years, what we have nurtured and grown.  It is irreplaceable.  It is priceless.  It is true.

Happy two decades sweet man!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment