Tuesday, April 16, 2019

regarding birthdays and motherhood

Today is a day of celebration.  We are celebrating our eldest son's 20th birthday.  I also celebrate today as the day I became a mother because it is the single most influential day of my entire life.  One moment I was just me and the next moment I was the mother of a tiny human being.  So much responsibility.  So many life lessons wrapped up in that tiny body.  I'm thankful, ever so very thankful for my son, the one who changed me for the better the moment he was born.  Gosh, I can't imagine life without this experience of motherhood.  It's been difficult and ugly and beautiful and all the things.  But now 20 years into it I know it has all been worth it and still there is growth and learning as life changes us, and we change, and seasons shift.

Just two days ago, we celebrated our 2nd son's 18th birthday and that brings with it all the feels too!  Eighteen years old is a pretty monumental time.  2 more months and he graduates high school.  5 more months and he goes away to college.  And I'm not going to freak out and get all emotional because this is what life does and we cannot hold onto anything and he'll always and forever be my son.

April is always this way for me as we celebrate birthdays and I see time progress.  Spring is bright and colorful and the birds sing and I know it is all on purpose.

Happy birthday to my sons.  I love you with every fiber of my being.  Thank you for being my greatest teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment