Monday, January 29, 2018

today with 3 random photos *edited to add recipes*

The day began in a fury of wind, blowing and gusting and shaking the tree branches.  Wind gave way to rain, falling in fat, heavy drops.  And all day the sky has held onto it's gray.

I will only fuss slightly over this storm as I couldn't get out with my camera.  So instead I train my eyes on the sights and record them in my memory, and here, in words.

Gray stormy days are perfect for hanging out at home, puttering about.  I got some housework done and spent some time in the kitchen.

I whipped up a rich vegetable broth with 2 leeks, lots of garlic, an onion, carrots, celery, herbs, and a splash of cider vinegar.  I'll use part of that broth in a cauliflower bacon soup this evening.

There is some bread dough rising under a dish towel.  I'm going to try to turn it into baguettes.  Or maybe round loaves to serve the soup in.  Probably the latter because guys dig that kind of thing and I regularly feed three of them.

The other thing I crafted in the kitchen this afternoon are a variation on a no-bake cookie dough bar.  It's still chillin' in the refrigerator so I'm not sure if they've even turned out but it was my first time using almond flour and coconut flour.  Coconut flour smells AMAZING!  I want to roll in it.  If these do indeed turn out then I'll probably share the recipe.

Now I'm sitting here with a mug of hot tea and my Charlie dog curled up at my side.  He was excited when he saw that I was sitting down, he's always down for a cuddle session.

This week ought to be a good one.  I've got some work scheduled with a new client.  Yay!  We have an exciting date planned in Seattle.  Yay!  Of course, this is finals week for Blake so I'm not sure that he shares my enthusiasm for the week ahead.  And sub-regionals begin on Friday.  Sub-regionals lead to Regionals the next weekend which culminates in the State tournament the following weekend.  It's a bit of a whirlwind.

In the in-betweens there is work and school and business and yoga (I'm working on my forearm stands - almost there!). 

I totally don't have any photos to post with this blog.  Blame it on the rain.  Ha!  Milli Vanilli anyone?  But seriously.  It is the middle of winter.  And the sky is consistently gray.

So...  here are three random and unrelated photos that I took recently.


#1  a Heron from yesterday, he was pulling up grass from the water and running it through his beak


 
#2 My eldest son, looking dapper and adult-like, whatever
 
 


#3 The restaurant I work at, just before the dinner rush
 
 
 
There you have it.  Thanks for stopping by my blog.  I have some bread dough to shape and a soup to craft. 
 
Until next time!
 
-Edited to add the recipes!-
 
 
So I just can't leave you hanging.  The bacon cauliflower soup turned out incredibly.  And the cookie dough bars were also quite good.  I made the bread dough into boring loaves but it was perfect dipped into the soup.
 
 
Here is what I did to make the Cauliflower Soup:
 
Combine these in a soup pot and cook on med-high for about 10 minutes:
  • 1 T. oil (olive or coconut would work)
  • 8 slices of bacon, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
Finely chop 1 head of cauliflower and add to the pot
Add 1 14oz can of coconut milk to the pot
Add 3-4 cups of broth to the pot (I made my own vegetable broth - very easy!)
Add fresh ground pepper and 1 t. sea salt
 
Bring to low boil then simmer for 20 minutes
 
Mix 2 T cornstarch with 1/3 c. water and pour into the soup.  Stir until thickened.
 
That's it!
 
 
 
Here is how I made the Cookie Dough Bars:
 
In a large bowl mix 1 1/4 c. almond flour and 5 T. coconut flour, and a sprinkle of sea salt, set aside.
 
In a small bowl mix 2 1/2 T melted coconut oil, 1/3 c. honey, and 5 T. nut butter (I used cashew).
 
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add 3/4 c dark chocolate chips and mix.
 
Line an 8" square pan with parchment paper.  Press the dough firmly into the pan, flattening and pressing well.  Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
 
Meanwhile, melt 1 c. dark chocolate chips with 2 T. nut butter and 1/2 T. coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between.  When the dough is chilled pour this chocolate topping over the top, spreading evenly.  Let chill for 1-2 hours.  Remove from pan, cut into squares and serve!
 
 
 
Do you like to try new ingredients?  I love trying out new things.  This was the first time I had used coconut milk in SOUP.  And my first time using both almond flour and coconut flour.  Cooking can be such a simple adventure so long as you're not afraid to mess up sometimes.  I'm always doing new things and I can tell you, they don't always turn out. 
 
Isn't that life though?  It's ok to mess up.  It's ok to not know everything. 
 
Stay humble friends. 😻

No comments:

Post a Comment