Wednesday, October 1, 2014

a chicken look-book

It was a beautiful morning to be outside with the chickens, one of those crisp beginnings, warming to perfect working temperature.  And that's what I did.  Work.
 
The garden has been harvested fully.  I dug out all the carrots, pulled all the remaining cucumbers off the vine, and picked the six spaghetti squash.  For the next couple of months I will throw all the chicken manure, coffee grounds, egg shells, and tea leaves in the garden for some fertile, rich soil come Spring.
 





 
While I worked around the yard, the girls had some freedom to roam.  I do appreciate their calmer maturity at this stage.
 
 
Here is Nuggets, neck deep in a plant....

 
 



Braveheart, a beautiful Golden Laced Wyandotte.  She is the only one that will challenge Charlie, the two of them facing off nose to beak.
 



 
 
The only faithful egg layer, Mintie.  She has beautiful jet black feathers on her tail and one on her back.  She is the best food finder.
 



One of two Easter-Eggers, Elsa.  She has the fluffiest cheeks and bum!




Three busy bottoms: Pearl, Mintie, and Nuggets.

 
 
 
My pretty girl, Pearl.  A Buff Orpington.  Big and glorious.



 
This big mushroom reminds me of a momma hen with her chicks.


 
It also brings to mind some scriptures...
 
Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
Psalm 63:7
 
 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.
Psalm 17:8
 
Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.
Psalm 57:1
 
How excellent is thy lovingkindess, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
Psalm 36:7
 

No comments:

Post a Comment