Sunday, February 5, 2017

wading in the shallows

It's been awhile.  Perhaps I owe my blog a little more.  Perhaps I don't.  It just is what it is.  Some seasons feel more private, some less.  Maybe it is the winter that causes my soul to sink in, button up, quiet down, and reflect.

Whatever it is, sometimes I'm a lousy communicator.  And I know that my mom and my sister and my best friend read this blog.  And at least for them, I should probably write a little bit. 

Sometimes I don't write because more than just those three people find their way here, and that intimidates me.  Yes, you there.  If you're not my mom, sister, or best friend, you intimidate me.  But please, don't let that stop you.  In the intimidation is a challenge to be honest and real in my writing, to be transparent.  It does my heart good to hear from someone who has read my words and been affected enough to tell me about it.  Thank you intimidators.  You are welcome here.

In an attempt to ease back into the blogging pool, I'll wade here in the shallows with a little ditty I like to call "Currently".  It goes like this....

I am currently

Reading...  A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

Watching...  The guys are watching the Super Bowl.  I watched a few commercials and the half-time show and now I've retreated to my bedroom.

Cooking...  Seeing as how it is Sunday we are having our traditional Sunday night sandwiches.  This is our tradition for almost eight years now.  Tonight I'm having a BLT with turkey and avocado added.  Also chips and dip in honor of the Super Bowl.

Drinking...  water and coffee and water and coffee and water...I'm predictable.

Doing...  After nearly 8 months off, I am back at work.  But I have to tell you, I didn't do this.  I didn't seek a job.  I didn't apply for a job.  All I did was pray that God would make clear what it was He wanted for me.  And this job fell in my lap.  I've been working in a real estate office for almost two months as an administrative assistant.  I'm optimistic as to where this job could lead.  Right now it's not glamorous as I've been set to the task of archiving over a decade of paperwork into digital form; alternatively, I battle daily with staples and scanners.  A really great job perk: I work with my husband every day!

Going...  It's a busy month of wrestling and JROTC competitions.  Blake wrestled over the weekend and earned first place at Districts which put him in the running at Regionals next weekend which is the step just before the State Championships.  Austin has a trip to Nationals in Alabama sandwiched between two weekends of drill competitions.  Full speed ahead.

Wearing...  Pajama pants and my wrestling hoodie.  Oh sweet comfort.

Enjoying...  my chickens.  They are almost three now and have weathered some storms.  No eggs for a couple of months which I am chalking up to a long, dark winter.  But they still make me laugh!  I call them my bitties and talk to them constantly when I'm outside.  They just waddle around my feet and talk back, saying whatever chickens say.

Thinking...  this quote: "Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness, and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns."  Because I live there sometimes.  In the emptiness and the mess.  Maybe more often than I care to admit.  But really, the light never leaves, just my ability to see it. 

Listening to...  comments about the game.  A snoring puppy dog.  Cozy Sunday sounds.

Smelling...  a clean dog!  My Charlie got a bath today and is a cleaner, fuzzier version of himself.

Thankful for...  my husband and our life together.  We don't have it all figured out by any means but he is the best of me, my encourager, my confidant, my heart.


There you have it.  Life in a nutshell.  My "currently" status and my wading in the shallows.  Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment