Thursday, October 20, 2016

make the soup

It is a beautiful Thursday afternoon.  The sun is bright as fluffy clouds hustle through a cerulean sky.  It felt luxurious to sleep late this morning as there is no school today or tomorrow.  I slept late then lingered over my Bible a little longer.  Even the coffee tastes better when it is enjoyed slowly.

As I practiced yoga this morning I had to laugh at my Charlie dog.  He always thinks I'm doing the downward facing dog just for him.  He likes to be right under me/beside me/contacting me.  While I try to be patient with him and nurture the balance that yoga brings there are sometimes that I just can't play along with his clinginess.  Like today, I placed him up on the couch where he could be near but also out of the way.

Here is his face as he watched me, half on the couch, half on the coffee table that was pushed up close to the couch.  Then you'll notice his face when we were reunited and his heart was whole again.



Today for lunch I heated up some soup that I had made myself yesterday.  It is soooo good, especially when the weather is chilly and the trees drip with leftover raindrops.

Here is the recipe:

Chickpea Stew

1/2 of an onion, chopped
1/2 of a bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced

Brown these in a saucepan in a tablespoon of butter or a swirl of olive oil.

Add:
1 small diced tomato
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1 T. chopped fresh basil (or dry is ok too)
a sprinkle of oregano or Italian herbs
a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh pepper
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 T. tomato paste
1 c. chicken broth or water

Let simmer for 15 minutes and enjoy.  This makes two hearty servings.

I served mine with a scoop of leftover rice yesterday but it is fine without it as well.






The other day as I walked outside to grab an armload of firewood (it's fireplace season!!) I spotted a bird on the cherry tree.  We don't get many of these here in our neighborhood as they prefer the country life a bit more but there on the trunk of the tree was a Pileated Woodpecker.  These are impressive birds with their large bodies, long beaks, and bright red heads.



He was patient as I slowly stepped closer and closer.  Never once did I see fear in his body which was a surprise to me.  Instead, he studied me as I studied him.  He seemed thoughtful, curious, and at ease.  As I got closer I was able to see his red cap and noticed that when he lifted his head taller the red feathers also stood taller.  I thanked him for his time and turned back toward the house.

I have a confession to make.  I'm a nail-biter.  I've been a nail biter since I was little.  I've only ever once been to a nail salon and had a French manicure after a season of kicking the habit and letting my nails grow.   Stress and anxiety pull me back into the habit time and time again (maybe there should be support groups for this kind of thing).  I've never been interested in fake nails but always desire to have pretty, painted, well manicured nails.  It's been a few months now and my nails are pretty amazing if I'm being honest.

I took these pictures because this was day FIVE after painting them and the polish was holding up like a champ despite hand washing dishes, cleaning a chicken coop, and wielding an axe.  Amazing!




This is Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Gunmetal.  The accent nail is Pure Ice in Beware.

My nail care regimen is pretty simple.
  • Starting with clean nails I file them smooth with a metal file.
  • Then use a filing block to buff and polish them. 
  • I massage cuticle oil into the nail and cuticle then use a rubbery type cuticle pusher thing (that makes sense, right?) to gently push my cuticles back a little. 
  • I trim off any dead skin or hangnails then wipe any oil remnants from the nail.
  • Then I paint, usually two coats.

I love gel polishes for their ease of application and longer life.  And obviously Sally Hansen makes a long wearing polish as well.  FIVE days!!



Thursday is calling now and I must return.  Make the soup, paint your nails, and think of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment